Wednesday, January 14, 2015

It's Showtime!

Today's the day!!!  At 1:30 this afternoon, the first preview of Tommy begins.  It's been a long process and an incredibly short one, all at the same time.  My son's audition for The Who's Tommy at the Paramount Theater first took place back at the very end of the July.  As we were leaving, I has a quick thought that perhaps I should document that day, that it might be the start of something very special.  As most people know, in the world of theater, anything can happen. There was certainly no guarantee he was going to be cast, but I took the photo anyway, just in case.


Two days later, we got the email that they wanted to see him at callbacks.  We'd been watching my email obsessively, as we knew we'd hear either way about whether or not they wanted to see him again.  I was sitting at a stoplight when I saw the email pop up on my phone that we'd been waiting for.  I quickly turned off the main road and parked my car on a side street so my little guy and I could read the message together.  It said, "The Tommy auditions were a huge success and everyone on the Paramount team would like to thank you for being here!  We were so happy to see Peyton!  We would like to call back Peyton for the role of Little Tommy."   There was a bit more after that but that was all we needed to see. We jumped up and down and hugged and shared our excitement.  And, I made have shed a few tears.  :)

From there, we had more waiting.  The callback date was finally sent a few weeks later and on his first day of school, off he went to be seen again.  He felt it went really well, but again, no guarantees. You never know what the directors are looking for.  We were told it would be awhile before we  heard, as the director had a few other kids to see who hadn't been able to make it that day.


And then, on September 19th, we got the call we'd been waiting for! The Paramount wanted to cast Peyton as the 4 year old Tommy!  He was in school when this news was delivered so I headed over in the afternoon to let him know in person.  Holy cow! His first professional theater gig!!  We stopped in front of the theater later that day to take a quick photo. I mean, how could we not?!



Shortly thereafter, we received paperwork and music and his contract.  But, nothing would be begin again until December 22nd.  And then, it all sped up to mock 240 speed.  Three weeks of rehearsals to put the whole thing together.  David Schlumpf, who plays Captain Walker - Tommy's Dad, was the very first face Peyton and I saw as we entered the rehearsal space that first day.  He had the friendliest smile, reached out and shook both our hands and made us feel comfortable immediately.  That's how it's been the whole time with everyone we've met.  These two have since become buddies. I love it!




And now it's TODAY!  The first preview.  I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. And I'm so very, very proud of my little guy. What an incredible experience this has been for him so far.  From the director, Jim Corti, to the entire team at the Paramount, all of Peyton's co-actors, the stage crew and the other families, everyone has been amazing.  We are so very, very lucky to have this incredible theater pretty much in our backyard.  Peyton has made some great new friends in the process.  I have too! (the moms rock!) 



So here we go!  Off to see Tommy! For anyone who would like to see the show, it runs from today, January 14th through February 15th. There are 8 shows a week happening Wednesdays through Sundays. Matinees also take place on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Tickets can be purchased at www.paramountaurora.com or by calling 603.896.6666.  Hope to see you there!




2 comments: