Friday, March 4, 2011

Funny where life takes you

For those of you who have only known me in the past 10 years or less, you may not know that I used to be a dancer.  I danced for 24 years.  For more than the first half of my life, that's how people identified me - as a dancer.  I made a decision to stop dancing over 12 years ago now and my life has taken me on a very different path. Being a dancer is something I miss, but not enough to regret the decision I made. It was an amazing experience and taught me more than I could ever express.

Now I'm on this amazing journey called photography.  It's wonderful to still be able to have a creative aspect to my life.  I love everything about it.  I must admit, I think I love it more than I ever loved dancing. I was a good dancer, but not an amazing dancer. It's much easier to be realistic about my abilities now that I've gotten quite a bit older.  I held my own, had some great performances, made some extraordinary friends and memories and then it was time to move it.

In high school and for a short stint in college, I danced with Salt Creek Ballet. Later on I became the advanced jazz teacher.  Now, I sit on the Board of Directors. Had you asked me when I was 16 if I would still be involved with SCB at this point in my life, I would have said no. But, here I am, still getting to enjoy this beautiful art form called dance and support it from a different place.

Last Saturday, I got to combine these 2 artistic endeavors I've been involved in during the course of my life.  Each year, Salt Creek Ballet participates in the Regional Dance Association Festival. Around this time every year, an adjudicator comes out to observe the girls, give feedback and decide which, if any, of the pieces they've shown that day will be included in the various performances that happen during the course of the festival.  I remember what it felt like. We worked harder than we ever did with this person sitting in front of us evaluating our individual performances and the company as a whole. For the past few years, I've been an observer, watching in support of the girls who make up the company now and representing the company as a Board Member. There is such strength, effort, determination and pride these dancers have for this art form and for Salt Creek.  This time, I brought my camera with me and took over 100 photos.  Below is a sampling of some of the beauty these young women posses doing this most exquisite art form.

I've chosen to edit these images in a variety of ways to create a different feel in each one.  But, that's a topic for a completely different blog post.  Enjoy the photos.


Good luck at this year's festival. I know you will be amazing!





2 comments:

  1. Love all of these photos. The jumps, the two palms pressed together and the last shot are especially awesome. So wonderful that your two artistic loves can be combined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your multiple talents with Salt Creek Ballet over many years! It's great that you are able to give this generation of SCB dancers a sneak peak into a life focused upon pursuing many artistic disciplines! Gorgeous photos too!!!!

    ReplyDelete