Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 3 - Picture Inspiration - Motif

So, this week's word prompt is Motif.  Part of the definition, and a guide to our assignment are these words: A distinctive and recurring form, shape, figure, etc, in a design, as in a painting or on wallpaper.


While neither wallpaper nor a painting, what you see below is an item that represents so many things to me.  As you can probably tell, it's an afghan.  What you don't know is that it was made by my Grandma Meg, who passed away almost 9 years ago. That doesn't really seem possible and I miss her more than I could ever express.  This one was originally given to my mom.  My mom then gave it to me and now it's one more memory I have of my Grandma in my house.  I also have a blue one which was made for me, but it's much smaller as I was a far littler person when she crocheted it.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely DETEST being cold. It can almost top the list of things I can't stand to feel.  So, blankets of any sort make me very, very happy.  Afghans made by family members - even better and definitely more meaningful.


I love the pattern of this afghan along with the colors. I'm a warm color junkie so browns are always attractive to me.  When I look closely at the repeating pattern and details, I honestly have no idea how my grandma had the patience to create this large amazing piece of love. Because that's what it is. Something that she created with her own hands, out of love, for the people in her family.


So this is my motif. A recurring pattern of brown and white, that represents warmth and love, held close to my heart.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment